Many people have experienced emotional trauma and they don’t realize it.
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Many of us have heard about PTSD, and we may associate it with war veterans who have returned from the battle field.
Did you know that anyone can experience PTSD, whether you have been involved in a violent war or not? You can develop PTSD if:
- You have experienced a traumatic event, such as a near-death experience, severe injury, or sexual assault
- You have witnessed something tragic happen to someone else, or if you have heard about a traumatic event happening to a loved one
- Or, if you regularly take care of people who experience trauma
How do you know if you have PTSD? Some symptoms include:
- Distressing and intrusive memories or nightmares that are related to the event.
- You may have flashbacks or strong reactions to things or events that remind you of the trauma.
- You may try to avoid reminders of the event.
- You may experience mood changes or changes in the way you think about yourself and the world.
These are only a few of the symptoms of PTSD. It can be very debilitating and cause significant ongoing distress for trauma survivors. The good news is that PTSD has been well-researched and there are many effective treatments that have helped people process their trauma, reconnect with themselves, and regain their sense of peace, purpose, and hope for the future.
If you or a loved one have experienced symptoms of PTSD, give me a call. I have seen my clients experience profound change and lasting growth after working through their traumatic experiences.
Our Best Ideas On:
Relationships, Connecting, & Family Dynamics
Sign up for "Rooted" our Free Newsletter.
Our best advice to help you nourish deep connections in your family right to your inbox!
When we talk about boundaries we are talking about restrictions that we put in place for ourselves or others, in order to promote a healthy balanced life that honors what we value. This can seem pretty simple at first but many people struggle with setting boundaries...
These past few weeks have been crazy. We’ve all been pushed to places we’ve never imagined. The Covid 19 pandemic has impacted us all and driven us into forms of isolation we couldn’t have imagined even 1 month ago. I wanted to take a few moments to share some ideas...
These are days that we couldn’t have imagined. Covid -19 has turned our world on its head. You may be overwhelmed with the constant stream of new information; overwhelmed by fear, and fighting off anxiety. If you are, you are not alone. We at Cedar Tree Counseling...
Cedar Tree's Mission:
There’s a lot of broken families who struggle to do life well together.
That’s why we help families create an environment where deeper connection & healing can happen.